A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Sunday 2 September 2012

Lives of children who clean car windows on the streets


Give our kids a better deal
PHNOM PENH, 2 September 2012 (Cambodia Herald) - Child beggars are a common site in Phnom Penh. Other children get by with menial work such as shining shoes or cleaning car windows at intersections. Few have had much schooling.

Chea Cheng, a 14-year-old boy whose father is in prison, says he dropped out of school in Grade 4.

"I've swept and cleaned car windows for several months," he said. "I sometimes get between 200 and 4,000 riel from the drivers. It depends on how how they feel."

Chea Cheng said he cleans car windows between 9:00 and  11:00 a.m. and between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m., earning between 10,000 and 20,000 riel a day. "I give my mother the money to buy rice and food," he said.

Ros Ouk, 15, also cleans car windows. "I see other kids getting money by cleaning car windows on the streets so I do it too," he said. "Sometimes, I'm not offered any money and also get criticized."

The boy, who says both of his parents are dead, cleans car windows at big intersections but says he avoids big expensive-looking vehicles. "I'm afraid of being criticized by the drivers or their bodyguards," he said.

Soun Sokha, 14, says both of his parents have also died and that he has never been to school. He said he sometimes begs and also uses drugs.

"I worked as a car window cleaner for three months," he said. "Sometimes, people hit me and take all my money which I use to buy snacks and food," he said.

Pung Chhiv Gech, president of the Cambodian League for the Promotion and Defense of Human Rights (Licadho), said she would prefer to see such children at school.

Licadho, she says, opposes children working as domestic servants or in restaurants. "Children who work on weekends to get money for their families are normal," she said. "But I want to see those children attend schools.'

No comments: