A Change of Guard

សូមស្តាប់វិទ្យុសង្គ្រោះជាតិ Please read more Khmer news and listen to CNRP Radio at National Rescue Party. សូមស្តាប់វីទ្យុខ្មែរប៉ុស្តិ៍/Khmer Post Radio.
Follow Khmerization on Facebook/តាមដានខ្មែរូបនីយកម្មតាម Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/khmerization.khmerican

Monday 12 November 2012

Singer explains how she fell from fame to obscurity [Once a star, now a beggar. How sad!]

Oum Kunthea and her family get presents from sponsor

PHNOM PENH (Cambodia Herald) - Oum Kunthea, recently found to be living in poverty with her two children, has discussed her spectacular fall from fame in the television program "Nesay Sne" on TV9.

According to Angkor Thom's account of the program, the former singer said she was happily married to singer Phan Sophat until he asked her to choose between him or her mother.

"I didn’t know whether I was right or wrong to follow my mother. My former husband blamed me," she said.

After the couple broke up in 2006 leaving her two sons to look after, she became the victim of a scam and had to move from her apartment to a shack. She also got ill.

"A few months ago, I decided to ask one TV program to sing hoping that I would earn some money to support my poor family," she said. "However, they asked me who I was and weren't interested. I was speechless when I heard that."


The singer said she hoped her life would start to change for the better when people acknowledge her former fame. "My fate is bad," she said. "Some entertainers of my age are now living happily in big villas. But I'm living in tragedy."

Angkor Thom reported last month that it had spotted the singer and her two sons in a pond searching for water lilies, morning glory, fish and snails to make their daily ends meet.

No comments: